Thursday, January 9, 2014

'Be Born in Us Today'

This Christmas season, while listening to Christmas carols, I was struck by the following lyrics from the classic hymn ‘O Little Town of Bethlehem’
"O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin, and enter in, be born in us today."
It’s now the 2nd week of January and the Christmas celebration of a few weeks past is long gone. Yet each day, I keep reminding myself that Christ has come, that just because today isn't the day we specifically celebrate as Jesus’ day of birth doesn't mean that he is not living, that he is not present, that he is not waiting to be born in us this day. According to the Gospels, Jesus is our Immanuel – a name meaning 'God-with-us.' That God chose to call his Son Immanuel clearly shows His desire for the process that ‘O Little Town of Bethlehem’ speaks of- that Jesus would ‘be born in us,’ that he would be with us, to live life alongside us. As a side-note, I find this attribute of God- his relational nature, his desire to not merely rule but to accompany his people, his willingness to do life with us – to be one of the most fascinating and compelling aspects of his character. That God loves us enough to be with us; I pray that this mystery never ceases to amaze me. 
One of the questions I am trying to frequently ask myself is 'where do I need Jesus to be born in me today?' Whether it be in my relationship with Emily or interactions with classmates, or in putting to death my pride or forgiving others, I need Jesus to be born more and more in me each day. I need Immanuel - God-with-us.
This gift of God-with-us is ours for the taking – as Jesus says in Rev 3:20, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." May we not pack up our Immanuel as we put away the Christmas decorations and forget the truth of Christmas hymns simply because they don’t fill the airwaves anymore. May Christ be born in us this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment