Monday, January 6, 2014

In reflecting on what I'd like to change in my life and do differently in 2014, I decided that blogging would be a good way for me to reflect on what God has been teaching me and process all that I'm learning and experiencing. While the motivation for this new foray into blogging in 2014 is mainly for myself as a tool to process and reflect, I hope that whoever reads each post will be blessed by whatever truth they contain. May God speak to you through my posts as I reflect on how He is speaking to me. 

There is also no coincidence that I am starting this blog on January 6th- today is the 20th birthday of my 'little' brother, Vince. He's tied with my sister for my favorite blogger. He has so many good things to say and such a great way of saying them. The joke in our family is that my mom, a writing teacher for many years, has always said that Vince is '"her best writer" of her kids. Anna and I joke about it but we know its true. If you want to read some deep thoughts and great writing, check out http://blogbyv.wordpress.com/ 

So today, in honor of my brother, I though I'd include one of my favorite quotes. It comes from Henri Nouwen, one of my favorite people and authors, and has to do with birthdays. I frequently include it on birthday cards I write to family and friends because I think the words are so true. And they are no more true than today in honor of my brother Vince.

"Birthdays need to be celebrated. I think it is more important to celebrate a birthday than a successful exam, a promotion, or a victory. Because to celebrate a birthday means to say to someone: “Thank you for being you.” Celebrating a birthday is exalting life and being glad for it. On a birthday we do not say: “Thanks for what you did, or said, or accomplished.” No, we say: “Thank you for being born and being among us.”"

Thank you, Vince, for being you. On today your birthday we thank you not because of your servant's heart, your love for others or you fun-loving spirit. Today, we celebrate you. Happy Birthday V-dogg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment